Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lunch at the Farmers' Market

Well, lunch at my desk. From the farmers' market.

May 27, 2010 - Prudential Farmers' Market
I went over to the Prudential market today to grab a sandwich from Iggy's, and surprise! Ben and Jerry's was giving out free scoops of Cherry Garcia or Milk and Cookies. How could I say no to free ice cream? Milk and Cookies is a brand new flavor, and it's made with fair trade cocoa and vanilla extract.
Milk and Cookies!
Then, I headed over to the Iggy's stand and picked up a sandwich: fresh tomato, basil, and mozzarella with mustard vinaigrette on a crusty ficelle ($6). Man, this thing is messy. I'm pretty sure I have mozzarella and/or mustard vinaigrette in my hair. But it tastes sooo good. (The sandwich...not my hair.)
Messy mozzarella sandwich from Iggy's. Yum!
The cheese is dripping all over me, but that's a price I'm willing to pay for a tasty lunch :)

Before I left the market, I had to walk by the Nella Pasta stand to look at their adorable pug. I can't help it; I'm a pug-stalker. Unfortunately I couldn't buy any pasta today since I won't have a chance to eat it in the near future, but maybe next time!



June 1, 2010 - Copley Farmers' Market
Today I braved hurricane force winds to get to the Copley market and back to the office. (Strong winds + long hair + hands full of food = perilous walk.) I made it back in one piece, though, and without dropping anything. Today's finds:
A ginormous herbal spring roll from The Herb Lyceum ($5)! Stuffed full of rice noodles, huge chunks of cucumber, spearmint, cilantro, chives, lettuce, and Vietnamese coriander, this big spring roll came with ginger-peanut-soy-garlic dipping sauce. You'd probably guess that The Herb Lyceum would have fresh, delicious herbs, and you'd be right. My co-worker sitting nearby even commented on how good the spring roll smelled. I was worried this wouldn't be enough for lunch, but it was bursting with noodly goodness, and there was seriously almost an entire cucumber in there.

To go with it, I picked up a couple apple cider juice boxes ($0.50/each) from Carlson Orchards. Juice boxes make lunch feel picnicky! Too bad I ate inside.
It was a nice, light lunch. My only complaint is that the spring roll was packaged on a Styrofoam tray. I guess it's easy to assume that farmers' market vendors are super eco-friendly, but that's not always the case. Despite the Styrofoam, I'm a big fan of The Herb Lyceum; they're becoming one of my regular stops at the market!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails