Monday, October 25, 2010

Pumpkin Potluck Party


We still haven't had an apartment-warming party, but we've squeezed in a few dinner parties in the new place. We've got a big dining room and a nice drop leaf table, so it's a perfect set up for five or six people.

Dining room + Autumn = Pumpkin Party!  

To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of pumpkins. Toasted seeds started to grow on me a couple years ago, and I've had a few pumpkin soups and breads that have been very good, but I've never really gone out of my way to eat pumpkin.

But for some reason, I decided to throw a pumpkin potluck party on Sunday, and you know what? I loved every dish!

To get into the spirit, I attempted to dress up the cat. She was not very enthusiastic about this.

Sierra the Pumpkin-Cat
For food, we ended up with toasted seeds (one bowl of normal seeds and one bowl of extra hot ones sprinkled with ghost chili powder), two pumpkin breads (one with cranberries, walnuts, and raisins and one with chocolate chips), a vegan pumpkin soup (served in a pumpkin and topped with sage and toasted seeds), pumpkin gnocchi (from Russo's) in a sage brown butter sauce, and kaddo bourani (from a recipe posted on Chowhound based on a dish from The Helmand). We drank Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale.



 
I guess pumpkin's not so bad after all! I would definitely eat any of these dishes again. Happy autumn!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a fun day. So sorry I had to miss it! I love pretty much pumpkin anything. One of these days I want to try to make pumpkin or squash gnocchi.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails