Friday, December 3, 2010

Cheeseboy

Cheeseboy, a glowing beacon of cheese and bread and butter, welcomes travelers from near and far to South Station. A cheesy treat upon your arrival? Maybe one to carry onto the commuter rail after work, driving your fellow commuters mad with jealousy?

I was in transit; after work, I headed to South Station to attend a nearby event on sustainable food businesses - more on that later - but with 20 minutes to spare, it was finally time to try Cheeseboy.

"The best things in life are cheese," says the company website. A few years ago, I probably wouldn't have agreed. Aside from pizza and French onion soup, I neglected cheese for quite some time. I just didn't think I liked it. It slowly crept back into my life. First, I'd sprinkle a little bit of grated asiago or parmesan on my pasta. Then, in college, I realized that one of the dining halls made an amazing grilled cheese, and it was all downhill from there. Now, I'm even getting into softer cheeses, slowly. Goat cheese is my newest obsession. Yesterday, every meal I ate featured cheese.

At Cheeseboy, you can choose your bread (Italian, rye, multigrain, wheat), your cheese (American, cheddar, light Swiss, muenster, provolone), and toppings (a variety of meat and veggies). There is, of course, tomato soup.

I got Italian bread with provolone, topped with basil and tomatoes, and accompanied by tomato soup. The sandwich comes packaged in a perfect cardboard box, much like a pizza:


Finally, cheesy goodness:


Ah, bliss. Perfectly buttery and gooey and cheesy. The tomato soup was thick and comforting.

I have no idea why there wasn't a line out the door for this place; I was there right at rush hour and only had to wait a few minutes. Next time you find yourself in South Station, you should definitely visit Cheeseboy.

Cheeseboy on Urbanspoon


5 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to check this place out!!! Great to hear such a good review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in South Station over Thanksgiving weekend and I totally wanted to stop by but had to catch a bus. I'll definitely check it out over the next couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great concept! They need to open a branch out here in Wellesley :). I'm fairly certain I could live off of cheese - I love pretty much every variety I've tried. I would say things went UPHILL for you after that grilled cheese in college!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ads for this place are all over the T and I'm DYING to go. It makes me hungry every morning. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all about goat cheese too! I SO want to try this place out after your review :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails