Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Fillbelly's Food Truck

Sure, I've eaten "street meat" and hot dogs and roasted nuts from food trucks before, but those were the type of trucks that pick a spot and stay there reliably for weeks, months, years. In college, we all knew that Uncle Dicky would be serving up late night drunk food on the edge of the frat quad every weekend night from midnight until the early hours of the morning. You can find the "Here's Frosty" ice cream and hot dog truck on the corner of the Public Garden all the time. Today, though, was the first time I experienced the thrill of the modern version of the food truck: more mobile, broadcasting its moves via Twitter.

I was about to head out to the Copley Farmers Market to find some lunch when I noticed a tweet from Fillbelly's, a new comfort food truck that can be found all around the metro Boston area, including Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, Hyde Park, South Boston, and the Fenway, according to the website. The truck was across the street from my office! Sorry, healthy farmers' market veggies. It's a comfort food kind of day.


I played Frogger crossing the street and eventually made it to the truck. No line at 1pm: Fillbelly's doesn't seem to have enough of a following on Twitter yet to generate a quick response to location updates. (Go ahead, follow them; you know you want to...) It's not a very flashy truck, and on the interior metal, you can see the remains of sticky letters asking whether you need chopsticks and such, but the reincarnation of what apparently was an Asian food truck doesn't need to rely on looks. The food - at least the bosilitos, which is all I've tried so far - is solid.

The bosilitos are empanadas: deliciously doughy dumplings stuffed with beef, tomato sauce, spices, and curry. I grabbed two for $3, an insane lunch deal considering the typical Copley/Back Bay offerings (think $8 sandwiches, $15 pastas, etc.) I doused them in hot sauce and devoured them. (One minor complaint: the hot sauce could definitely be amped up a notch or two. It had a very nice flavor, but I was hoping for blazing fire. If I can feel my lips, it's just not hot enough.)


I will certainly be keeping a close eye on Fillbelly's Twitter feed around lunchtime from now on, and I'm hoping they find that this area is a profitable place to park. I'd love to try more items on the menu (chicken and waffles, mac and cheese)...but I'm afraid I won't be able to resist these tasty little empanadas.

You probably already guessed this, but yes, Fillbelly's is definitely named appropriately. Although I devoured these in a matter of minutes (maybe seconds), I'm feeling very satisfied.

4 comments:

  1. So, so, so jealous that you got to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited! These roaming trucks never end up near me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so fun! love that you ditched the farmers market in favor of the truck. thats the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I'm also ditching my run tonight...almost forgot I have band practice, and then it'll be too late...oh well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails