Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pies 'n' Thighs

This is the final post in a series from a weekend trip to NYC. You can read the first post here (a general overview), the second post here (a review of a small chain of Thai restaurants), the third post here (cupcake truck!), the fourth post here (more cupcakes!), the fifth post here (Spanish food), the sixth post here (a mobile farmer's market), and the seventh post here (even more cupcakes).

I'm no Southern food aficionado: my travels in that part of the country include a years-ago trip to Houston when I was so picky I only ate baked potatoes (monstrous Texas-sized spuds), many vacations to Florida (which doesn't count), and a road trip to and from Bonnaroo (Manchester, TN) that included a stop at a delicious Nashville tourist trap, The Loveless Cafe.

Joel showed off his shapely thigh as we waited to eat.

From my limited experience, Brooklyn's Pies 'n' Thighs seems like the real deal. In any case, it's a comforting feast if you're in the mood for hearty dishes our arteries wish didn't exist, like chicken and waffles, biscuits and gravy, and heavenly donuts.

Dan and Clara thought hard about where to bring Joel and me for our last meal in town, and the adorably- (and appropriately-) named Pies 'n' Thighs won out. We walked about a mile to get there, and I stared curiously at Brooklyn's varied architecture. I also almost missed a turn on our route as I attempted to follow an adorable pug.

After a short wait, we were led through a maze of rooms: the bright main dining room with an eclectic collection of chairs and tables plus a plate of free doughnut holes, a hidden courtyard, and finally a brick-walled garage-like room with front barn-style doors opened wide to the street. I imagine it'd be rather cozy in the winter with the doors shut and the bricks keeping in the warmth.

The menu had adorable little cartoons, and the red-and-white checkered tablecloths added a whimsical picnic feel.


A rooster with sunglasses drew our attention to the brunch menu. We needed a bit of help from the friendly server to decipher this part of the menu, which featured mysterious dishes called "Banjo" and "Rob Evans."


Meanwhile, an amicable sailor fish told me to order a sweet tea, so I did.


I had missed the free doughnuts on the way in, but the menu declared their awesomeness.


We started the meal with a doughnut big enough to split four ways.


As soon as we arrived, I had set my mind on biscuits, so I ordered the B & G (biscuits and gravy), which - bonus! - had sausage! I felt like a glutton eating this. So rich, so creamy, so buttery, so...sausage-y. I think I only made it through about half before fearing an inability to fit out the door.



Joel couldn't resist that infamous duo, chicken & waffles. I must admit I'm confused by this pairing whenever I see it, but I guess it makes a good brunch combo because you're getting a little bit of breakfast and a little bit of lunch.


Among other things, Dan and Clara got some sides, including grits...


...and black-eyed peas.


You're probably wondering about the "Pies" part of Pies 'n' Thighs. So was I, but no one was hungry enough for pie after devouring everything else. Someday, pies, I will come back for you. Lemon Blackberry and Key Lime, you two are first on my list.


Brunch at Pies 'n' Thighs was a perfect way to end the weekend, and it put me solidly in a food coma for the ride home. As the highway rushed by, all the cars looked like giant pies and biscuits in my half-asleep dreamworld.

And then I was woken up by a rooster in sunglasses. 

Pies 'n' Thighs on Urbanspoon

New York Restaurants

Well, that concludes Fork it over, Boston!'s NYC weekend miniseries! Come back tomorrow to find out about the reigning champion of the Cupcake Quest!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails