Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cupcake Quest: Flour

This post is part of the Cupcake Quest series on Fork it over, Boston!

I have never actually eaten anything from Flour (until now). I've stopped by the Fort Point location several times, inevitably after having already eaten at Sportello (and most likely imbibed at Drink), so I could only salivate over the pastries (from a safe distance, of course. Don't worry, I didn't dribble on anyone's sticky buns.)

One of my coworkers walked more than a half hour yesterday to pick up some cookie dough from Flour for a relative's birthday party and called me to see if she should bring back a cupcake. It's hard to say no to mid-work-day cupcake deliveries.
Slightly bigger than your average cupcake.
At 2:30, we had a covert cafeteria meet-up for cupcake questing purposes. We split a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting. Size-wise, it was larger than a standard homemade cupcake but smaller than some of the giant ones I've tried so far (J.P. Licks, Shaws, and Gingerbread Construction Co.). The cake had a nicely bitter dark chocolate flavor and was moist and pretty light. There was an appropriate amount of frosting, and it adhered well. The flavor was equal parts cream, sugar, and real vanilla, and it was tasty and rich (but not overwhelmingly so).

The Verdict: This Flour cupcake didn't hide behind gimmicky flavors or decorations. It was a solid classic cupcake, enjoyable and comfortable like your month-old new car: most of the thrill is gone, but it still makes you smile and gets you where you have to go.

(Note: I'm growing bored of the cupcake vocabulary I've been using again and again in these posts, so from here on out I'm just going to go ahead and throw cheesy similes and metaphors at you for your enjoyment as well as mine.)

(Note #2: Did you know that Flour is opening up a third location? It'll be in Central Square (Cambridge), and it's due to open the end of this month. Follow owner Joanne Chang-Myers on Twitter for more information and an always-interesting account of the trials and tribulations of opening a new business.) 

Flour Bakery + Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I am LOVING your cupcake quest! I feel very in the know as to which cupcakes are worth a sample and which are not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :)

    I think I need a slogan...something along the lines of "I eat thousands of calories worth of cupcakes so you don't have to!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails