Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hopdoddy Burger Bar (Fork it over, Austin! - Part 22)


I wanted to love Hopdoddy Burger Bar. The concept is awesome; nearly everything there is some combination of local, made in-house, organic, compostable, etc. The way the line moves is awesome as well; you enter along the bar so you can order a drink to bring with you as you follow the line to the counter where you order your food.

I ordered a pomegranate Texas Greyhound, which was refreshing, although I wish I had gone with a milkshake. I would have been uncomfortable stuffed with a milkshake, fries, and a burger, but I bet it would have been worth it.




While you're waiting in line to order food, a hostess gives you a table number, and by the time you order, your table is waiting for you. Then, when your food is ready, it's served to you at the table.

The atmosphere and the employees were great, and the menu was interesting, but I was disappointed by my burger (Angus beef, cheddar, hickory BBQ), which ended up being bland and undercooked. One of my dining companions fared better with the Greek burger (lamb, feta, tzatziki, arugula, and more).



The buns, however, were amazing, and we were also really into the fries.


There's so much to like about Hopdoddy; it's unfortunate that I didn't like my burger. But if I lived in the area, it's the type of place I'd definitely try again.

On a somewhat unrelated note, we saw a couple awesome signs on the way home - one plain awesome one and one that makes me chuckle for a couple different reasons.



Hopdoddy Burger Bar on UrbanspoonSee my favorite dishes on Tasted Menu

Other posts in the Fork it over, Austin! series:
Part 1: Whip In
Part 2: Foreign & Domestic
Part 3: Caffe Medici
Part 4: Walking Along SoCo and Lunching at Chi'Lantro
Part 5: The Capitol, UT Austin, and Lunching (Again) at Torchy's Tacos
Part 6: Museum of the Weird
Part 7: Uchi
Part 8: East Side King at The Grackle
Part 9: Franklin Barbecue
Part 10: Flagship Whole Foods and My First Green Smoothie
Part 11: Late Night Pizza at Via 313
Part 12: Kebabalicious
Part 13: My Robotic Kitchen Planned This Dinner Party
Part 14: Papi Tino's
Part 15: Annie's Cafe & Bar
Part 16: The Peached Tortilla
Part 17: Cupcake Quest: Hey Cupcake!
Part 18: Arancini
Part 19: The DeLorean, Boxing Robots, and Roller Derby Pillow Fights
Part 20: Second Bar + Kitchen
Part 21: Tia Kelly's Navajo Tacos
Part 23: Gourdough's
Part 24: The Ice Cream Social
Part 25: Walking to Barton Springs
Part 26: Izzos Tacos

I'm also posting daily recaps on the Tasted Menu blog, FOOD=LOVE:
Day 1: A First Taste of Austin
Day 2: Tons of Tacos, Sushi at Uchi, and a Late Night Trip to East Side King
Day 3: Early Morning Barbecue and Late Night Pizza
Day 4: Globetrotting: Kebabs, Enchiladas, Pommes Frites
Day 5-6: Meeting and Eating

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails