Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Izzos Tacos (Fork it over, Austin! - Part 26)


Well, I think this is going to be my last Austin post! I do intend to eventually write about the massive amount of hot sauce I got at Tears of Joy (plus one from Torchy's Tacos!), but for now, I'm going to wrap this series up with my last dinner in town, Izzos Tacos. Another truck. Food trucks make me so happy.

I had first spotted Izzos earlier in the day when I ate a donut for lunch; Izzos was in the same lot, and Jodi said that I really had to try it, so I was excited that my co-workers wanted to check it out for dinner.

We started with guacamole, which I actually tried and enjoyed. (Guacamole is one of those foods that I've just always avoided. While I don't really mind the flavor of avocado, I don't like the mushy texture, so I figured I wouldn't like guacamole. Then I realized that guacamole was probably closer in texture to a chunky salsa, not mushy like the fruit itself, so I gave it a try. Turns out it's pretty good, which I'm sure you all already knew.)


Then, of course, we had tacos. And they were pretty fantastic.





I got The Padre (photo directly above): braised carnita pork, pineapple, tomatillo salsa, avocado (which I requested be held). The pineapple was a great touch, and the flour tortilla was outstanding. (I vastly prefer flour to corn tortillas, so I was thrilled that every taco I ate in Austin was in a flour tortilla. Some places offer a choice.) This was probably my second- or third-favorite taco of the trip; I liked the BBQ brisket taco at The Peached Tortilla best, and the bulgogi taco at Chi'Lantro was pretty awesome as well.

Writing this post is making me sad because I now have this newfound taco love, but I haven't found any tacos quite as delicious in Boston. Perhaps it's time for a taco quest?

After enjoying Izzos, we moved over a truck for dessert at Gourdoughs, followed by fries and cocktails back downtown at Second Bar + Kitchen. Then we packed up and got ready for the morning flight back home.

At the airport, we found breakfast tacos from heaven, or Salt Lick BBQ. It was a perfect way to wrap up the trip.

Izzoz Tacos on UrbanspoonSee my favorite dishes on Tasted Menu

Other posts in the Fork it over, Austin! series:
Part 1: Whip In
Part 2: Foreign & Domestic
Part 3: Caffe Medici
Part 4: Walking Along SoCo and Lunching at Chi'Lantro
Part 5: The Capitol, UT Austin, and Lunching (Again) at Torchy's Tacos
Part 6: Museum of the Weird
Part 7: Uchi
Part 8: East Side King at The Grackle
Part 9: Franklin Barbecue
Part 10: Flagship Whole Foods and My First Green Smoothie
Part 11: Late Night Pizza at Via 313
Part 12: Kebabalicious
Part 13: My Robotic Kitchen Planned This Dinner Party
Part 14: Papi Tino's
Part 15: Annie's Cafe & Bar
Part 16: The Peached Tortilla
Part 17: Cupcake Quest: Hey Cupcake!
Part 18: Arancini
Part 19: The DeLorean, Boxing Robots, and Roller Derby Pillow Fights
Part 20: Second Bar + Kitchen
Part 21: Tia Kelly's Navajo Tacos
Part 22: Hopdoddy Burger Bar
Part 23: Gourdough's
Part 24: The Ice Cream Social
Part 25: Walking to Barton Springs

I'm also posting daily recaps on the Tasted Menu blog, FOOD=LOVE:
Day 1: A First Taste of Austin
Day 2: Tons of Tacos, Sushi at Uchi, and a Late Night Trip to East Side King
Day 3: Early Morning Barbecue and Late Night Pizza
Day 4: Globetrotting: Kebabs, Enchiladas, Pommes Frites
Day 5-6: Meeting and Eating

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails