Saturday, March 17, 2012

Tia Kelly's Navajo Tacos (Fork it over, Austin! - Part 21)

On the sixth day of the trip, I started off with a breakfast of hamentashen (my mom sent two dozen to the hotel as a Purim surprise) and hot chocolate from the Patika Coffee truck.


Then I attended what I found to be the most memorable panel of SXSWi, Jeffrey Tambor's acting workshop. (For inquiring minds, he did confirm that the Arrested Development movie is happening, along with ten new Netflix-exclusive episodes.)



I grabbed lunch outside of the Convention Center at a truck called Tia Kelly's Navajo Tacos, and it was the most disappointing taco of the trip. I was intrigued by the fact that it was wrapped in Navajo fry bread, a delicious fried dough I first encountered in New Mexico, but it was more than twice as expensive as almost every other taco I ate ($6.75), and it was bland and boring. Taco fail.


Normally I'd hate to rip a small truck apart so angrily, but as it turns out, it's not really a small business at all. It's actually an "Aramark concept," which I guess explains why it was parked right outside the Convention Center and why it was obnoxiously overpriced and not good. Wasted meal.

I headed back inside for a panel featuring a bunch of the Funny or Die guys, and it wasn't nearly as funny as I'd expected.

...and then dinner was somewhat disappointing as well (more on that in the next post). Maybe it's just that everything felt like a letdown after the awesome Tambor session.

Other posts in the Fork it over, Austin! series:
Part 1: Whip In
Part 2: Foreign & Domestic
Part 3: Caffe Medici
Part 4: Walking Along SoCo and Lunching at Chi'Lantro
Part 5: The Capitol, UT Austin, and Lunching (Again) at Torchy's Tacos
Part 6: Museum of the Weird
Part 7: Uchi
Part 8: East Side King at The Grackle
Part 9: Franklin Barbecue
Part 10: Flagship Whole Foods and My First Green Smoothie
Part 11: Late Night Pizza at Via 313
Part 12: Kebabalicious
Part 13: My Robotic Kitchen Planned This Dinner Party
Part 14: Papi Tino's
Part 15: Annie's Cafe & Bar
Part 16: The Peached Tortilla
Part 17: Cupcake Quest: Hey Cupcake!
Part 18: Arancini
Part 19: The DeLorean, Boxing Robots, and Roller Derby Pillow Fights
Part 20: Second Bar + Kitchen
Part 22: Hopdoddy Burger Bar
Part 23: Gourdough's
Part 24: The Ice Cream Social
Part 25: Walking to Barton Springs
Part 26: Izzos Tacos

I'm also posting daily recaps on the Tasted Menu blog, FOOD=LOVE:
Day 1: A First Taste of Austin
Day 2: Tons of Tacos, Sushi at Uchi, and a Late Night Trip to East Side King
Day 3: Early Morning Barbecue and Late Night Pizza
Day 4: Globetrotting: Kebabs, Enchiladas, Pommes Frites
Day 5-6: Meeting and Eating

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails