Saturday, March 10, 2012

Kebabalicious (Fork it over, Austin! - Part 12)

I think I've hit a wall. We've reached the halfway mark of the trip. The conference has started, bringing with it the arrival of disgustingly gigantic crowds and a persistent cold rain, downpouring at times and just drizzling ever so annoyingly at other times. Food isn't necessarily the top priority anymore; now we're starting to attend panels and trying to stay dry. (I've already acquired two free ponchos. It's the cool thing to do.) I attended three panels yesterday; one was interesting (more on that later), one was not so interesting, and one was downright bad.

I'm experiencing major tech overload. I'm sick of blogging, tweeting, seeing cameras and smartphones everywhere (including my own), using hashtags, etc. It's just too much, and I'm seriously considering disconnecting from the Internet for a quiet few days upon returning home. But while I'm still here, I'm still going to tell you about every single thing I've been eating.

Sam and I ponchoed up and grabbed lunch from Kebabalicious yesterday, a truck selling Turkish-influenced wraps. We both got the beef/lamb kebab (which was neither shish kebab nor doner kebab), and the spicy sauce was in fact spicy, especially after several minutes of eating. It was a nice slowly building burn. The wrap itself could have been better; it was a sadly thin, dry pita that needed to be thicker and softer.


We also got bottles of Topo Chico mineral water and walked around all day looking for bottle openers. I finally went to the gift store to just buy one, but they didn't have any for sale...although the lady working there was able to find one in a back room somewhere and opened my bottle for me, which then exploded all over the counter. Of course.

Other posts in the Fork it over, Austin! series:
Part 1: Whip In
Part 2: Foreign & Domestic
Part 3: Caffe Medici
Part 4: Walking Along SoCo and Lunching at Chi'Lantro
Part 5: The Capitol, UT Austin, and Lunching (Again) at Torchy's Tacos
Part 6: Museum of the Weird
Part 7: Uchi
Part 8: East Side King at The Grackle
Part 9: Franklin Barbecue
Part 10: Flagship Whole Foods and My First Green Smoothie
Part 11: Late Night Pizza at Via 313
Part 13: My Robotic Kitchen Planned This Dinner Party
Part 14: Papi Tino's
Part 15: Annie's Cafe & Bar
Part 16: The Peached Tortilla
Part 17: Cupcake Quest: Hey Cupcake!
Part 18: Arancini
Part 19: The DeLorean, Boxing Robots, and Roller Derby Pillow Fights
Part 20: Second Bar + Kitchen
Part 21: Tia Kelly's Navajo Tacos
Part 22: Hopdoddy Burger Bar
Part 23: Gourdough's
Part 24: The Ice Cream Social
Part 25: Walking to Barton Springs
Part 26: Izzos Tacos

I'm also posting daily recaps on the Tasted Menu blog, FOOD=LOVE:
Day 1: A First Taste of Austin
Day 2: Tons of Tacos, Sushi at Uchi, and a Late Night Trip to East Side King
Day 3: Early Morning Barbecue and Late Night Pizza
Day 4: Globetrotting: Kebabs, Enchiladas, Pommes Frites
Day 5-6: Meeting and Eating

Kebabalicious on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails