Sunday, March 18, 2012

Gourdough's (Fork it over, Austin! - Part 23)

After nearly a week of feasting our way through Austin, we came to the last day. Finally, a beautiful day. I spent a lot of it walking. And eating. (What did you expect?)

For lunch, I was thrilled to finally get the chance to meet Jodi, my co-organizer and swap partner for the holiday gift swap between the Boston Food Bloggers and the Austin Food Blogger Alliance back in December. She brought me to a food truck lot I hadn't been to yet, but it had certainly been on my radar: Gourdough's. Izzos Tacos. Dock and Roll Diner. She got a lobster roll from Dock and Roll, but as (a) a mayo hater and (b) a native of a city known for lobster/lobstah rolls, I needed something else. Big. Fat. Donuts.



Since it would be my whole meal, I opted for a donut with more of a well-rounded meal quality, not a dessert: the Mother Clucker. Fried chicken on a donut, topped with honey.



The donut was as big as my face. I didn't come close to finishing it, but it tasted good enough to eat five. While huge, it was actually light and airy, with a nice crispy exterior, and it wasn't overwhelmingly sweet.

Later that night, I ended up back in the same lot with Sam, Jen, and John. We started with Izzos - more on that in another post - but we ended with a donut. Fortunately, a different person was working this time. Being seen twice in one day at the donut truck would be a bit embarrassing.

We all split the Dirty Berry, which was covered in gooey chocolate and grilled strawberries.




These donuts are not for the faint of heart, but if you have even the slightest sweet tooth, Gourdough's should be a necessary part of your Austin itinerary.

Gourdough's on UrbanspoonSee my favorite dishes on Tasted Menu

Other posts in the Fork it over, Austin! series:
Part 1: Whip In
Part 2: Foreign & Domestic
Part 3: Caffe Medici
Part 4: Walking Along SoCo and Lunching at Chi'Lantro
Part 5: The Capitol, UT Austin, and Lunching (Again) at Torchy's Tacos
Part 6: Museum of the Weird
Part 7: Uchi
Part 8: East Side King at The Grackle
Part 9: Franklin Barbecue
Part 10: Flagship Whole Foods and My First Green Smoothie
Part 11: Late Night Pizza at Via 313
Part 12: Kebabalicious
Part 13: My Robotic Kitchen Planned This Dinner Party
Part 14: Papi Tino's
Part 15: Annie's Cafe & Bar
Part 16: The Peached Tortilla
Part 17: Cupcake Quest: Hey Cupcake!
Part 18: Arancini
Part 19: The DeLorean, Boxing Robots, and Roller Derby Pillow Fights
Part 20: Second Bar + Kitchen
Part 21: Tia Kelly's Navajo Tacos
Part 22: Hopdoddy Burger Bar
Part 24: The Ice Cream Social
Part 25: Walking to Barton Springs
Part 26: Izzos Tacos

I'm also posting daily recaps on the Tasted Menu blog, FOOD=LOVE:
Day 1: A First Taste of Austin
Day 2: Tons of Tacos, Sushi at Uchi, and a Late Night Trip to East Side King
Day 3: Early Morning Barbecue and Late Night Pizza
Day 4: Globetrotting: Kebabs, Enchiladas, Pommes Frites
Day 5-6: Meeting and Eating

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails